I had heard a lot about this book before I began my reading. From fellow classmates, to my grandma and even seen some kids wearing t-shirts promoting the novel. Well, lets just say a lot of hype was being put on the book and as I began reading the first few words I hoped it would live up to its reputation.
Right from the gecko Holden Caulfield protruded (vocab word OOHH YEAHH) as the novels main character. Though sometimes annoying, and arrogant I felt like I could relate to him. One point was during one of the passages he said, "That's something that drives me crazy. When people say something twice that way, after you admit it the first time. Then he said it three times." That actually happens to me all the time and gets me just as fustrated as it does to Holden.
Can you guys relate to anything that Holden does or say??? I know Levy already has a connection to the getting kicked out of school part but anything else?
Though only done with the first few chapters, the book is living up its hype. I hope it doesn't let up.
HOLDEN = LIFE
Yours truly,
Big Boy
Yeah, I like that Holden is so relatable. I think it's because he is very believable. He is down to earth and realistic. I completely relate to how he hates "phony" people, because I think we see a lot of that, people acting certain ways to give others a certain impression, especially where we live and go to school. Holden is completely real, and even though he is a terrific liar and makes up crazy stories, he is totally honest with himself about the important things and the way that he feels.
ReplyDeleteBig Boy,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that Holden remains realistic at all times. What I also found interesting as I read on, is that he does not care about anything. Since the death of his brother, he really has no interest in anything, and it seems like whatever spark he may have had in his life at one point has faded. I agree with the bigboy philosophy that Holden is easy to relate to, and even likable because he discusses his raw feelings, no matter how awkward the situation.
i<3 big boy
love,
droze