Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bean Trees, Number 2 WHY THANK YOU

 After finishing this book by Barbara Kingsolver I can actually say that I really enjoyed reading it. I think the main reason that happened was due to the ending of the novel. The conclusion of the book really showed the full metamorphasis of all its characters. For starters, Esperanza gets a chance to say goodbye to her daughter when she poses as Turtle's biological mother and gives Turtle up to Taylor. Since she never had the chance to say goodbye to her real daughter, Ismene, she used Turtle to represent Ismene and was able to so because she loved Turtle like her own child. Lou Ann also changed a lot throughout the book for the better. When Taylor first met her she was this nervous, always worrying mother but at the end she takes on new life and becomes confident on with her own decisions and not those of others. She also gains a sense of purpose in her life and stops criticizing herself, and is actually self-confident. But the best transformation in this book came through Taylor. Her true makeover can be seen at the end of the book when she realizes that she no longer needed the phone number (1-800-THE-LORD) as something she could fall back on and finds out that her friends and family give her that. She then calls her mother and Lou Ann, which shows she developed a deep amount of trust and good relationships with her friends and family which enabled her to be able to start leaning on them for advice and such. Taylor is also able to find the true meaning of a home throughout the book. She learns it is has to with people and is not just a place. At the end of the book, she finally has a place she can call home, with Turtle. 

The metmorphasis and transformation of the characters in this book were truly amazing. And I actually enjoyed reading about them. Each character played a vital role in another characters' tranformation which I thought also came back to the theme of how Taylor also learned to lean on her friends and family to make herself better. 

All in all, Bean Trees = Best Trees  BFFF, I <3
PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment