Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The House on Mango Street (2)

After finishing up The House on Mango Street, I still found myself confused about what had happened in the book. It wasn't that the story itself was hard to understand, I just didn't see the point of all the vignettes and in most cases failed to see the importance of most of them. I mean I saw that Cisneros was just describing how Esperanza was growing up and trying to discover who she really was. But I just found it very difficult to string together the stories.
I did enjoy the ending of the book though. It sort of left you to make some assumptions for yourself, which I thought was cool cause it kinda allowed the reader to choose what would happen to Esperanza. It is not said whether she actually physically leaves Mango Street or not, but I like to believe that she did. As told by the "witches" who Esperanza meets at the end of the book, if Esperanza ever leaves Mango Street she has to promise to come back and basically save all the others. I also liked how Esperanza described herself at the end as, "too strong," for Mango Street to hold her back and that she wouldn't let growing up in a bad neighborhood hold her down.
All in all, I enjoyed reading The House on Mango Street probably more because of its short chapters and large font but somewhat because of its lessons about defining yourself and growing up. 
PEACE. LOVE
BIG BOY
BIG BOY RIDES AND BIG BOY ICE

No comments:

Post a Comment